Hello super friends! It’s time for a change of pace. I realize that I have been hogging the blog and that there are five other friends of mine who have family and friends that would like to hear from them. (But I'm not actually sorry for hogging the blog because it's actually my team "job" ha) So each team member will give a little shout out. I will post more details of our last week tomorrow...hopefully!Enjoy!
Jeff
Greetings and salutations to my friends and my family! Special greetings to mon amour, tasha! I hope as you all read this you are doing well and find yourself in a pleasant state of mind. The last two weeks here have flown by, and it has been an amazing experience. It is one of those places that cannot be properly explained with words or even pictures. To observe the smells, the body language, the orderly chaos, the millions of people, the garbage filled streets, the smiling faces, the 15 passenger vans that fit 25 (with a few on the roof and a couple hanging on the bumper) and the many other unique characteristics of Kinshasa, you must experience it in person. I have greatly enjoyed immersing myself in the culture and learning as much as I can in the time here, about the city, the country, and especially the people. It is a city filled with beautiful people, who are incredibly expressive and unique. There is a strong sense of community here and it seems to be a large village of 9 million. I have always wanted to dance in the aisles at church, and believe it or not, that’s what the Mennonites do here! Anyways, I will not go on to long, as each day passes my mind continues to be overloaded with different things to process, and I could sit here and type for hours. I am looking forward to a couple more weeks here and continuing to learn about the culture and the people. I know when I come back I will have lots of experiences and stories to share, but I also look forward to hearing all of my friends and families experiences this summer. Ok, I will stop now, I feel like I did not accomplish what I wanted to say, but just know that I am loving the Congo and its people, and I am doing very well. Au revoir! Sango Malamu!
Kelly
Hi Friends! This is Kelly...I am alive and well. I’m having a great time being back here...I’ve been able to connect with almost all of the friends that I made the last time I was here, which has been amazing, and we’ve been spending every day with Jean-Baptiste (the name should ring a bell to anyone I’ve ever talked to about Congo) so I am happy. My team and I are also living in the same house I lived in on TREK, so it’s been fun getting reacquainted with the neighbours and relearning the neighbourhood. And for those of you that are interested, Sister Charly Linda has returned! (this is my Congolese choir name apparently...) I got to attend choir practice on Tuesday and my choir will be singing in church on Sunday. Look forward to videos!! Other than that, I don’t really know how to condense the last two weeks, and there is so much more to come...so come visit me when I get home and I’ll talk your ear off about it if you let me. To my family, hope you’re enjoying DL, wish I could have been there but I’m glad I am here. Mom – I’m doing well, no sickness at all so far, so stop worrying about me. Everyone else – miss you and can’t wait to see you when I get back.
Brittany
Hey! I absolutely love being in Africa. It took about a week for me to realize that I actually flew half way across the world to another continent to live in this incredibly different culture for a month. I literally have no words to describe Kinshasa... you’ll just have to wait until I get back to see it in my eyes. God is working in incredible ways here and I can’t wait to return with news of God’s faithfulness. You know, life in the Congo is hard. That’s all there is to it. But God is so good! And in the two short weeks that I’ve had the chance to be here, I have witnessed a joy I’ve never experienced before. Happiness in the midst of despair. There is no way for me to explain all that has happened thus far so I won’t even try. Please keep myself and my team in your prayers and know that I love and miss all of you so much! And thank you so much for supporting me on this journey – it has been indescribable. See you in three weeks!
Alyssa
Hey family and friends, special hello to mama and papa, Karina and Rosie! God is definitely at work here in Kinshasa as well as in my heart. 4 years of praying for Africa and now that I’m finally here, there is so much that I never expected would happen. Last week we had the privilege of visiting a church plant that had no roof but we shared our testimonies there. It was a dream to tell you the truth, about one hundred children screaming Mundele (white people) and wanting to hold your hands. I only wish I had more hands to offer. Initially, coming into this experience I thought that I was going to bring lots of hope and be the light. Though that is true, I have been learning to just love on the people here. There are definitely a few kids from the orphanage that have stolen a piece of my heart already. The taxi system here is so much fun since we get so smooshed every time and the cars shouldn’t be running with the noises that they make. But there are many stories to tell; just know that God is very good and He most definitely is taking care of me. Yes mom, I’ve been eating and no, I didn’t get sick. I got a couple proposals but don’t worry, I say no to almost all of them. Love you all so very much! PS-Mom, thanks for all the cooking classes...my team is very grateful!
Jared
Hi friends and family! Well, it’s great to be back here in the DR Congo. After a fast-paced summer for me so far it’s been great to get back into the laid-back rhythm of life in the Congo. Here it seems like time is told by the number of people you visit with during the day, and not necessarily the hours that pass on a clock. I’ve loved being able to reconnect with Congolese friends, but have also enjoyed the opportunity to introduce these friends to our ACTION team this year. In fact, the thing that has impacted me the most this trip so far has been the ability to see the Congo through the fresh eyes of my team mates who are here for the first time. I’ve loved our daily “Team Time” in the evening where we are able to process our experiences as a ministry team here in the Congo. God has clearly been at work in and through this team so far – I look forward to seeing what He will do next!
Cory
Heyo! It’s me again. Let me update you on wipeout! I found a printer and I’ve signed all my release forms and waivers etc. 40 pages and $15 worth of printing later, I’m ready to fax it tomorrow! Hopefully the rumoured fax machine in kintambo actually works! Once I send it in, I have one phone interview left to be had when I come home in August! And if all goes well, which im banking it does, I’ll have a ticket to Argentina in my hands! Bah! Mom and Dad, I miss you and love you. A quick thank you for being in my life. Sounds simple, but spending this much time around children who have no parents or have parents who left them, has me realizing how lucky I am to have you both. You never left me. You fed me. You gave me clothes to wear and a place to sleep and you still tell me that you love me. I now see how lucky I am. You have invested so much in me. I’ve always loved you both, but as I get older and “see” more I realize how rare that is. I am a lucky man. Now I just love you even more! Acksanna, props to you for lasting in Africa for so long. You are a strong woman. I think about you everyday. I miss laughing with you. Trevor and Kelsey, I cannot wait to tell you all about this when I get home! Love you both! And finally, Sam! Our long “distanceness” is almost over!!! I believe we are only a month from our much anticipated reunion! I love you and cannot wait to see you again! 6 months and 14 countries later, we will finally be together. Enjoy your last month on the road. NO MORE TRIPS APART!!!! Peace out.
Sing out Charly Linda! Ha ha!
ReplyDeleteLindsay